To the right of the road is the beautiful Plock of Kyle.
PLOCK OF KYLE
The Plock is a large area of land, around 60 acres, on the outskirts of the village at the access point to the Skye Bridge. It was bequeathed to the community in 1946 and since then has provided space for a range of facilities including a golf course, a viewpoint and picnic area and a path network, as well as giving access to the sea at Pladaig Bay. Until February 2019, the Plock was owned by the Hamilton Park Trustees (HPT) who managed it, with our help, on behalf of the Kyle community.
The Plock is a remarkable natural heritage and community asset but it fell into disuse some years ago. With support from the Hamilton Park Trustees (HPT), Kyle & Lochalsh Community Trust (KLCT) delivered a range of access improvements funded by Big Lottery which helped to open up the area and bring it back to community use. Our small group of conservation volunteers continue to meet every Tuesday morning to help to manage the area. To join our awesome team of Plock conservation volunteers just email firstname.lastname@example.org
With the support from Scottish Land Fund, in spring 2018 KLCT worked with consultants and the community to create a Masterplan for the Plock and Toll Office which identified a way to develop the parkland sustainably and to create widespread benefits for the community.
Finally, the Plock officially came to KLCT’s ownership in February 2019. We are now working to bring some of the projects to fruition. If you are keen to get involved in one or more of the projects please give us a shout!!